Before traveling, most people figure out the most efficient route to their destination. If they hit the road without consulting a map or GPS and just try to wing it, they’ll end up wasting valuable time and resources, and more than likely, they will get lost along the way. This same concept applies to your career. It will take you much longer to get to where you want to go if you don’t know how to get there. That’s why many career experts recommend taking the time to create a formal “career plan” to guide you through your professional life.
Building your career is exciting because it provides an opportunity to shape your life in the way you want.It can also be scary when you do not know what it is that you want to do and when you are not sure how you can make a living.This is especially true for recent or soon-to-be graduates, who may end up taking a different path than they originally intended.The more you are in charge of your process the better you will feel
Below are few factors to account for as you create your career:
- Know your values/value proposition: The place to start building career success is with yourself.Values are the core principles that run your life. Value proposition on the other hand are things that make you marketable e.g critical thinking,communication,volunteer work,etc.
- Strengths and Weaknesses: Find your strength. It is easier to play to your strength than compensate for your weaknesses.To assess your strong suit and gaps you can try conducting a personal SWOT analysis(Strength,Weakness,Opportunities,Threats) to help organize your career potential.
- Live your Passion: Some people are able to live their passions. For others, tapping into passion is more challenging. Passions are often buried by belief system and judgement that convince you that what you love is not worthy or capable of sustaining you in a career. If that is your case think back and see how you can introduce those things to your life right now!
- Use your favourite skills: What are you good at doing? Think of the times you have been successful and of the specific steps you took. This would help tell your best skills, pick your favourite and see how you can apply it.
- Have a plan: Do some research into different career scenarios that combine your values,strength,passion and favourite skills. Imagine yourself in those careers; what would you be doing? Who would you be working with ? What do you want to accomplish? Find out more about these areas and set SMART goals.
- Network: Here is a real secret of career building.The best jobs come because someone who knows you thinks you would be the right person for the job.So networking is a critical piece of career success. Think of networking as connecting with another person so that the two of you are in sync and are relevant to each other.Yes,you have something to contribute!
“It’s almost impossible for most college students to map out a detailed plan leading to a specific job or career area,” Labombard told Business News Daily. “Our advice for college students is to develop and identify their … skills, abilities and experiences that employers will find compelling. The benefit of this approach is that it opens up many potential career fields, not just one.”
Written by Valentina Umeri
Share this post to benefit others using any of the buttons below.